Sunday, February 28, 2010

Coal, Oil & Gas: Digging into the Olympic Moment

I just watched the final televised coverage of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Great games. Engaging TV. And ugly advertising.

The coal, oil and gas industries ran numerous advertisements during the games in an attempt to persuade us that we need these "American" industries ... just the way they are.

One ad by the coal industry uses patriotism to promote "clean coal," an oxymoron if there ever was one. A young coal worker talks about why he feels so proud to be doing his part to "make America secure" in the same way that his brother -- a solider -- is doing overseas. Geez!

Or take this ad by API, the American Petroleum Institute, self-dubbed "The people of America's oil and natural gas industry."

An attractive blond woman rides a pristine, computer-generated elevator supposedly down below the earth's surface. She tells us about the 9.2 million American jobs the oil and natural gas industry has created. As she rides back up, she says: "So the next time we discover more natural gas together underground, think of all the good that means above ground. Log on for more information" [emphasis mine].

After the 10th viewing of the ad, I finally logged on to energytomorrow.org, where you will be urged to write to Congress to protest "massive new taxes and fees on America's oil and natural gas industry" that will "kill jobs" and "hurt consumers and businesses."

Sounds bad. No one wants to "kill" jobs and "hurt" anyone.

BTW, this is an example of Astroturfing, or a fake grassroots campaign. API is trying to persuade us Americans to tell our legislators that we (not API) are "sick and tired and won't take it anymore."

Let me reframe the discussion this way.

How many people and other living things have been killed or hurt as a result of the polluting effects of oil and coal? We have chosen to subsidize these industries, thus making it seem as if they provide "cheap" energy. We conveniently forget the economic, political, environmental, health and social justice costs that come along with chopping off the tops of mountains, spewing particulate matter into the air, and dumping toxic wastes near low-income or minority communities that usually don't have the political power to fight back.

Last November, I participated in an online workshop titled “Covering the Green Jobs Debate: What You Need to Know.” This session was offered by Poynter NewsU to help reporters understand how to interpret information about green jobs. I learned that the common element of green jobs is energy, whether it be renewable energy or energy efficiency.

Why do green jobs matter? While President Obama has planned for $100 billion in additional stimulus bill funds to support alternative energy sources, China plans to spend $200 billion on green jobs, and the G-20 industrialized countries plan to spend $400 billion. We've got to get on board if we want to remain leaders in the world economy.

I learned that according to the Pew Charitable Trust, only about half of 1% of all U.S. jobs (770,000) are clean, renewable-energy jobs. However, green jobs are growing faster – 9.1% to 3.7% – than are those in the traditional energy sector, such as oil, gas and coal ... the dirty, nonrenewable energy sources.

According to the New York Times, the American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity (ACCCE) decided in 2007 to commit between $35 million to $40 million a year through 2010 or 2011 to "protect coal" -- not to explore alternative energy sources or to clean up the way they do business. No, the goal is simply to protect the way they are. And they're being quite effective. Obama has spoken of "clean coal," and the Times reports that lawmakers are hesitating to support energy and climate bills considered "too draconian" because they "would kill jobs and raise energy prices." Really?

So I ask, what is the truly patriotic and American thing to do? Spend money to promote yourself in the short-run, with long-term negative consequences to your industry and to the people you purport to serve? Or spend money now to find ways to maintain your industry's health in the long-run while promoting the well-being of your employees, investors and the consuming public? Seems an easy call to me.

Coal and oil are dirty -- Have been. Always will be. Renewable energy (e.g., solar, wind, hydroelectric) is clean. A green economy creates jobs and promotes sustainability. Go green.


16 comments:

  1. Dr. D,
    I agree that America needs to step up and get on board with creating jobs in an eco-friendly environment. It is sad and depressing when a person can read between the lines and see that television commercials ad’s are not morally correct when advertising a product to influence the American people as a whole. The oil companies tying to use American patriotism to justify that the American people need oil. But that is the opposite, we as a nation need to find better ways to supplement oil. The road to hell is some times paved with good intension but our government and big fortune 500 hundred companies do not recognize that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember vividly a speech that President Obama made about using coal as a cleaner energy alternative. I remember the cognitive dissonance that followed. I believed my President, and I wanted to support him on whatever he decided. However, my mind questioned whether coal was really the best solution to our problems. I thought I could recall some person of authority informing me that coal was in the same category as petroleum and other harmful gases. So then, why would he say that? Why would he tell me, a young influential voter that this was the direction we should take.

    But I can't put all the blame on Obama. He does not write his own speeches, and the government is far more complex than I know. Maybe a part of me just does not want to blame Obama, because I like him so much. Nonetheless, after seeing videos like "The Story of Stuff," I know coal is a major contributor to our super-sized carbon footprint. I would say we just need a happy meal, but even they are beginning to be
    outlawed for their lack of nutritional value.

    I wonder if America will ever really engage renewable energy sources? It is one of the best ways to get us on track, but I cannot see our vain country wanting to look backwards with windmills all over the place. In some ways, I am being facetious because I know windmills are not the only source of renewable energy. But I just don't know. It's just as big of puzzle as to how we got here as it is how we will get out.

    I know one thing though, many of these resource-rich countries and environments are being flooded, destroyed and deserted. We better figure something out fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. D,

    I also thought it was funny that someone would refer to coal as something clean.

    Moreover, when you reframed the discussion, I realized that I am one of those people who have been hurt by the pollution in our environment. As a severe Asthmatic who also suffers from eczema and allergies, I am constantly trying to figure out what is triggering my ailments. Now I know.

    As I read more information about the global climate crisis, I hope that we can curtail what is going on and find new (or existing), environment-friendly resources that we can use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. America should get with the times and invest in renewable energy sources. There are jobs that can be created from this. It takes an educated person not to be tricked by campaigns and commercials that try and convince the nation that oil is good. I do believe that it starts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this post amusing. Framing is a very important tool that can be used to promote almost any idea. For instance, the way the commercial with the attractive blond woman framed the information she presented. Saying that natural gas has created jobs might be true but it is definitely only a half-truth. However the real sad part of it all is that the majority of people in this country fall victim to this very tactic. It shows how powerful pr can really be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are often times many commercials that are framed to make the audience agree with a company's message. I believe America is already aware of what needs to take place but are stalling. We need to create more eco-friendly jobs and stop framing messages in ways that are continuing to hurt our environment.

    LaToya Chambliss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dr. D, I love this article. As you know i have an internship with an organization that actually is an active advocate for clean energy jobs. The organization is called Repower America. The government really needs to invest in clean energy that will spark job growth in America. As it stands, the US spends $1.2 Billion on oil. This is both detrimental to the environment and our pockets. We must find a solution soon. and I believe clean energy is the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought about how many jobs could be lost if oil companies were vanished. Oil companies try to put fear in consumers, that the world would end if they did not exist, not the case. Researching new energy sources and other means for fuel will open an enormous job market. Oil companies like to spin things, so they can stay on control. Oil companies say if they were no longer existed it would hurt our economy, because of the million employees they employ would have no job. Vanishing the oil companies will be an economical breakthrough. There will be more jobs available than what we have in America today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. D,
    I did not watch the winter Olympics, but after reading your blog I wish I would have to watch the commercials. I outraged at the fact coal companies would use patriotism to support clean coal. Uneducated people will not pick up on the oxymoron they might think there is clean coal in the world somewhere. I have to admit the coal companies did do a good job in framing the situation. I understand the importance of investing in green energy, and we need to convince other to do the same. I also think I you did an even better job framing the problem. Your frame has more truth and it hits close to home. I think that’s the reality that people need to learn about to persuade them to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Donnellan,

    This blog is a terrific example of what happens in a post-industial society. The industrial revolution paved the way for the problems we face today; and since it's a part of our history, big oil companies can just tag it as "American" or say it is patriotic.

    In turn, we adapt such practices without considering the consequences. I think, as you alluded to, we are too concerned with the short-term and we need to be more focused on the long-term implications of our actions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr. D,

    With the knowledge of my team's research project on the BP Oil Spill, it has enlightened me of the multiplicity of oil and America's use of it. We literally use it for everything!...With that in mind we must, must, create green jobs and practices that will allow us to continue with the connivances we are so accustom to. America must wing itself off of the dependency of fossil fuels and embrace alternative oil sources.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr.D,

    When I watched the Olympics, I thought the same way "this is ridiculous."

    Through my research project, I have gained more know about how electricity and plastic are made. And if everyone was more educated on this process they would realize companies like those are horrible. For instance, the coal that gets burned at power plants, have dramatic and a detrimental affect on everyone surrounding it. Thats why states like Mississippi get nick names like "Caner Alley."

    Also, there is no clean way to burn coal, its only poisonous to our people and the Earth. I believe they actually start to use more sustainable and clean energy, then they could truly be proud, and everyone be proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gilmore

    That's funny how an organization can have a nationally televised ad on television and proclaim a 'clean way to burn coal'. The bad thing is that people will believe this truthiness.

    Dr. D, you hit it right on the nose. There is no clean way to burn coal. But since the woman was talking about job killing and helping the economy, I'm sure people overlooked that little tidbit. The message sounded nice, when surrounded with a lot of other jargon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dr. D.,

    I concur. I have witnessed commercials like the ones you mentioned in your blog post. I saw a documentary called Gas Land on HBO. The film exposed the wickedness of America’s natural gas industry. The effects of drilling for natural gas range from cancer and death to the death of cattle and the death of entire crop fields. After seeing that I saw a commercial that sounds a lot like the commercial you saw with the women on the elevator, except I remember her saying that natural gas is one the safest sources of energy for America. I don’t America will realize the effects of their resource greedy lifestyle and their disrespect of nature and science until it’s too late. The sad thing is that they’re not only killing their own environment but also those of foreign countries. I admire your commitment to issues concerning “Mother Earth.”

    Peace,

    Jimmie

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing that companies are using tactics like this. I think the ad you mentions shows that the American public has no idea what is helpful or harmful to their environment. If we were all educated about oil, coal and other resources that harm the environment, we would all be just as outraged by that commercial. The problem is the education gap. There are people who have no idea what negative results are of burning coal. As pr practitioners, I believe it is our job to educate and inform the masses. Once this happens, maybe their concern for the environment will grow.

    ReplyDelete